Friday, December 18, 2015

Video: Final Blog


            Over the semester, we were assigned 5 different project and one was part of or final. The first project was an ONW procedure video. This video was mainly a review of all the stuff we did last year. The second project was our audio project. For this project we had to interview a person in our class and have a formal interview with them. The purpose of this project was to learn how to have a formal interview and learn how to properly use an off camera mic. The third project was our ONW NOW story project. The purpose of this project was to learn (again) how to set up a formal interview, switch between interview clips and b-roll clips and J&L edits. Our last project before our final was to cover the blood drive. The purpose of this video was to learn how to cover a live event and get b-roll and interviews without knowing what’s going to happen. Another thing we learned during this project was how to old he camera steady without using a tripod. Our final project was our final. For our final, we were partnered up and assigned an event we had to cover and make a story out of. The event I was assigned to was basketball. So my partner and I had to interview players and then make sure we got footage of them at the game.

            During our first project, one key event was learning how to use the bigger cameras. Most of our first project was review. In our second project, one key issue was that most of the mics didn’t have clips so we had to hold the mics and then the sound levels weren’t even. Also after we filmed, we realized that the interview wasn’t framed correctly. We didn’t worry about it too much because it wasn’t going to b shown. For the third project, I had to go to a dance rehearsal and get live footage of my partner. This was also the first project we had to use J&L edits in. We also had to make sure our interviews were framed correctly because this time they were shown in the video. Our forth project was the blood drive. The main thing we learned in this video was how to get b-roll at a live event. Its much different because you don't really know what’s going to happen. The other important thing we did was we learned how to hold the camera steady without using the tripod. And our final project was our ONW NOW. There were some major problems in this project. Although the problem wasn't with my video it was with my partner Rylee. She decided to redo all the voiceovers and change the entire order of the video without telling me. So the video didn't really turn out like I thought it would therefore I don't really like it at all.

            The biggest new concept I learned this year was probably learning how to do a formal interview. I think this was the most important thing because with almost every project, you are going to have to get information from someone who can explain it. And to do that, you have to interview them. Other concepts that went along with interviews were setting up microphones, framing interview shots, and writing interview questions. Another new concept we learned is J&L edits. These arent as big of a concept because you only need them when editing interview shots and then switching to/from b-roll.

            We didnt really learn any new software this year. We are still using final cut pro. Although, we have learned how to do more things in final cut to make our videos better.

             Soft skills were kind of a struggle for me. I didnt have that great of time management. I didnt really focus on my projects as much as I should have and then I didnt do some of the blogs that went a long with them until a while after the project was done. Also, in the last project, my partner and I didnt have good communication skills. I ended up not liking our video because she decided to sit and just look through footage from a game one of the days and I decided to write and record VOs. After I got done with that I told her I was done. And when came in the next Monday, she had decided to completely rewrite the VOs, and redo the entire order of the video we had planned out. Without telling me. So I didnt end up liking our video at all.


            For next semester I definitely need to get better about doing my blogs and getting projects done ontime.

No comments:

Post a Comment